- U.S. District Judge Ann Donnelly has ordered to freeze several assets related to people and entities accused of operating a U.S. supply chain that distributes counterfeit bottles of Gilead Sciences Inc's (NASDAQ:GILD) HIV drugs.
- In a statement, Gilead has identified and named as defendants two individuals responsible for leading and orchestrating the counterfeit scheme. The company initiated this litigation in July 2021 to halt the distribution of counterfeits.
- A court filing uncovered an operation that was "staggering in scope," responsible for selling hundreds of millions of dollars of counterfeit bottles of its top-selling Descovy, Genvoya, Biktarvy, and other medicines.
- Reuters reported that in addition to the alleged kingpins, the case now includes alleged mid-level leaders and a complex web of shell companies, distributors, and pharmacies.
- Gilead's investigation revealed that these two kingpins directed the initial sale of the counterfeits through suppliers created solely to sell counterfeit medications.
- The company alleged that the counterfeiters sold its HIV drugs with falsified documentation, altered packaging, and wrong pills, including an OTC painkiller and an antipsychotic drug .
- Price Action: GILD shares closed at $63.93 on Wednesday.
Information, charts or examples are for illustration and educational purposes only and not for individualized investment management This message contains commercial elements, such as advertising. We only send these offers to those who have opted in to our newsletter. Past performance is not indicative of future results. For these reasons we strongly suggest trading in a DEMO/Simulated account. The information provided by us is for educational and informational purposes only. We make no representations or warranties concerning the products, practices or procedures of any company or entity mentioned or recommended and have not determined if the statements and opinions of the advertiser are accurate, correct or truthful. If you use, act upon or make decisions in reliance on information contained or any external source linked within it, you do so at your own peril and agree to hold us, our officers, directors, shareholders, affiliates and agents without fault.